PADI INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT
Brisbane Dive Academy is a PADI 5 Star Career Development Centre that offers the most comprehensive diver training of any dive centre in the region. We strive to provide one of the finest PADI IDC's and Instructor training programs available in Australia. Based on the philosophy that every student is a direct reflection of their mentor, we train all of our PADI Instructors to the highest standards. With this backing, our Instructors always find work in the dive industry both here in Australia and overseas.
Candidates travel from far and wide to complete their training here with us. We have recently had candidates travel from as far as Bermuda and American Samoa!
Brisbane Dive Academy has been recognised by PADI for Outstanding Contribution to Diver Education in 2013 and in 2016 we were recognised by PADI for Outstanding Contribution to Instructor Development. You can expect to receive personalised training, honest feedback, lot's of support and mentoring, all during a relaxed course where we have plenty of time to fine-tune any of those things that may need attention.
Our team is headed up by our owner and PADI Course Director, Tec Rec and EFR Instructor Trainer Mick Wheatley. Mick has been diving since he was 15 and working in the dive industry since January 1997. Having trained people locally, up and down the east coast of Australia and travelling around the Asia Pacific region to train others, all the while continuing to build his knowledge has earned Mick the reputation of one of the most respected Course Directors in Australia.
Supporting Mick is our instructional team who provide an additional perspective to the training so you don't just learn from one person. You will get advice and help from a number of highly trained and motivated individuals so that way you can take the best of everyone then apply and adapt that information to you so that you can become the best instructor you can be.
What is involved in the IDC?
Brisbane Dive Academy's IDC is unique in how it is formatted, most IDC's now run over 10-14 days fulltime meaning that you have to take two weeks off work plus a couple of extra days to complete the IE. Brisbane Dive Academy's IDC runs over a number of evenings and 4 full days over two weekends, meaning you don't have to take two weeks off work.
Our program runs Monday and Thursday evenings 5-8pm for 4 weeks and on the weekends of weeks 3 and 4. The program is distinctly broken up into two parts, the Assistant Instructor Course and the OWSI Program. You can complete the entire IDC, the AI course or you can upgrade your AI certification or other Scuba Instructor qualification to PADI by completing the OWSI portion only.
We even have the ability to complete the evening theory sessions online for those who can't make it in to the dive centre due to distance.
During this program you will complete:
- 3 Knowledge Development Presentations
- 4 Confined Water Skill Presentations
- 2 2 skill combined Open Water Skill Presentations
- Rescue Assessment
- Dive Skill Assessment
- PADI Standards Exam
- 400m Swim and 10 min Tread water
Prior to starting you will need to have completed the following:
- PADI Dive Theory eLearning
- PADI IDC eLearning
- Dive Medical (valid within 12 months)
One of the best things about the Instructor Development Course is that there is no maximum number of attempts. So long as you put in the effort and preparation, you will be successful not only in the IDC but also at the Instructor Examination and more importantly in real life.
Why choose Brisbane Dive Academy?
Brisbane Dive Academy is the only PADI dive centre in Queensland south of Cairns who has their own fulltime PADI Course Director on staff. This is vital in ensuring that anyone who chooses to do their PADI Instructor training gets the guidance and mentoring that any professional needs at the beginning of their career.
We have a modern training facility set up with all the gadgets to make training comfortable and efficient,
Our classroom is fitted out with:
- 2 People per desk maximum
- Roof-mounted projector on to large projector screen
- Air conditioning
- Surround sound
- Fully networked training aid's
- Resource library
- A small workshop for training and demonstrations on equipment
All of this has been set up to ensure that you get the most out of your training experience. We also have a secure drying area for washing and storing your gear while you are here.
On top of this, you will get experienced instruction from the only Fulltime Course Director in Queensland south of Cairns. In addition to the general skills and knowledge that a PADI Course Director has, you will benefit from the knowledge of a PADI Tec Rec and EFR Instructor Trainer.
So far we have had 10 of our IDC and/or IDC Staff Instructor Candidates go on to become PADI Master Instructors and 2 have gone on to become PADI Course Directors
When can I start?
Annually we normally have 6 IDC's scheduled to coincide with the PADI Instructor Exams on the Gold Coast. The dates for the 2021 PADI Instructor Exams can be found on the PADI pro's Site but are generally 2 days after the completion date of the IDC.
- Commencing Monday 19 July Finishing Sunday 15 Aug
- Commencing Monday 13 Sept Finishing Sunday 10 Oct
- Commencing Monday 8 Nov Finishing Sunday 5 Dec
- Commencing Monday 3 Jan Finishing Sunday 30 January
- Commencing Monday 28 Feb Finishing Sunday 27 March
- Commencing Tuesday 26 April Finishing Sunday 22 May
- Commencing Monday 20 June Finishing Sunday 17 July
- Commencing Monday 15 Aug Finishing Sunday 11 Sept
- Commencing Monday 10 Oct Finishing Sunday 6 Nov
To book a place on the IDC of your choice, see the bottom of the page or contact us on 07 3890 0342. If you have a specific IE in mind that doesn't tie in with our scheduled IDC's, contact us so we can customize a program for you.
What is Included?
- PADI IE, IDC & EFRi Application Fees
- PADI Digital Crew Pack (includes IDC eLearning)
- PADI Dive Theory eLearning
- PADI's Guide to Teaching
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Guide
- Project AWARE Specialty Instructor Guide
- Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Guide
- OW Quizzes and Exams
- Rescue Diver Exams
- Divemaster Exams
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- Open Water Prescriptive Lesson Guides
- Open Water Diver Course Cue Cards
- Advanced Open Water Diver Cue Cards
- Rescue Diver Cue Cards
- Divemaster Cue Cards
- Student Planning Slate
- Skill Development Preparation Slate
- PADI Backpack
- EFR Instructor Training
- EFR Instructor Start up Pack
- Pool Entry Fees
What is do I need to bring?
- IDC eLearning certificate of completion
- PADI Dive Theory eLearning certificate of completion
- Dive Medical (no more than 9 months old)
- Current set of PADI dive materials (online versions preferred)
- PADI Digital Instructor Manual
- Standard dive equipment (excluding tanks and weights)
What can I do to prepare?
One of the best things you can do to prepare is relax, and since most of us can't relax before going into a course or examination the next best thing is to study and ask us to get out on one of our Open Water Diver courses to assist and brush up on those in water skills!
$5,290 all inclusive** BOOK NOW
Note: This includes your IE and application fees ($1,495 and IDC/EFRi Course materials $1,225)
**Subject to you owning current PADI OW-DM course materials
Interest Free Finance available for course fees and materials, to find out more click here
2021 PADI Professional Fees
- Instructor Examination - $975
- IDC Application Fee - $308
- EFR Instructor Application - $212.30
Correct as at 1 January 2021.
Please do not ask if we offer arrangements where you can work the course fees off instead of paying upfront for them, it's not going to happen!
Please also be aware that completing your IDC with Brisbane Dive Academy is not an offer of employment.